Monday, October 12, 2009

Tomcat6 on Fedora 11

I'm contemplating using Tomcat for my next project. I'm going to be developing on my Fedora 11 desktop.

I am new to this whole app server business and have spent this morning getting everything working. It shouldn't have taken that long, but it did.

My aim was to have some thing running on localhost which I could connect to and click about in. Compressed down in to a couple of steps I needed to do:
  1. yum install tomcat6 tomcat6-webapps tomcat6-admin-webapps
  2. edit /etc/tomcat6/tomcat-users.xml
    add the line:
    <user name="manager" password="tomcat_manager_secret" roles="manager"/>
  3. service tomcat6 restart
tomcat6 is a basic package. to get something which you can click about with when you point your browser at localhost:8080, you need tomcat6-webapps. To get the manager component, you need tomcat6-admin-webapps.

This sounds obvious enough now that I've done it.

1 comment:

wdbaker54 said...

Thank you for your help. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what else I needed than `yum install tomcat6` since I couldn't get anything at http://localhost:8080.
I too wanted to start using JSP and this should definitely be in a FAQ somewhere.