Thursday, October 15, 2009

karmic ubuntu on hp mini 1000

I've spent the last couple of days trying to get Karmic (beta) on a HP Mini 1000 (1030NR).

This is simple enough with the help of unetbootin. My problems started when I tried to get wireless working with the proprietary drivers. I have never enjoyed satisfaction with proprietary drivers and this occation was the same.

In the 'Live mode' the installed (jockey) happily identified the hardware and swiftly installed ssb broadcom drivers. Once installed jockey didn't seem to be `all there'. I couln't install the drivers.

What finally worked was to go to synaptic package manager and search for 'broadcom' and force a reinstall of the relevant drivers:

bcmwl-kernel-source and bcmwl-modaliases

After this, it all worked perfectly.

1 comment:

El Negro... said...

Hey! Thank you Sooooo Much... Y have been looking for the answer for weeks... :P Thanks a lot! :)